Not only can you time your purchases by month for the entire year, you can also plan your shopping by day of the week to net the most savings. Here’s a day-by-day guide for what to buy for the biggest discounts.
- Electronics (Computers, TVs, Cameras, and Video Games): Computers and TVs may be cheaper on Mondays because manufacturers apply their rebates earlier in the week. TVs, cameras, and video games may be cheaper this day because big sales tend to be earlier to draw in more customers.
- Dress pants and sunglasses: An average sale, online, of about 48% for dress pants and 55% for sunglasses, according to ShoItToMe.
- Cars: My Dollar Plan notes that less-than-impressive weekend sales may make car dealers offer better deals to people who shopped over the weekend.
- Airplane tickets: Start shopping on Tuesday afternoon for the best deal on domestic airfare. Deals may be had until Thursday, according to our previous ticket-buying advice.
- Men’s apparel: 42% average discount online.
- Gas: Fill up from Wednesday to early Thursday to beat the weekend gas price hikes.
- Groceries: Thanks to new sales advertisements going out on Wednesday, but also some grocery stores honoring the previous week’s sales, Wednesdays are a good time to pencil in that food shopping. (Sundays work too. See below.)
- Jewelry: Apparently women tend to shop in the middle of the week, so online jewelry prices start dropping on Wednesdays and sales on accessories continue on Thursday.
- Shoes and kids’ clothing: 38% average discount for shoes and 40% for children’s clothing online.
- Clothes: In general, clothes may be discounted on Thursday as retailers start rolling out their weekend sales.
- Handbags: An average discount of 36% online.
- Gas: In the a.m. (as mentioned above).
Not a lot of discounts happening on Friday except:
- Accessories (e.g., Jewelry, Belts, Scarves): Average discount 42%
- Books: No clear reason why. Perhaps we only think of reading when the weekend starts?
- Intimates and Outerwear: 37% and 51% average discount online, respectively.
- Major appliances: More people are searching for washers and dryers, microwaves and ovens on Sundays.
- Groceries and Drugstore Items: Fresh coupons combined with special pricing in newspaper inserts may mean great deals on food, mouthwash, and more basics.
- Swimsuits: 52% average discount online